Six Reasons why Congress-JD(S) combine should be invited to form the government in Karnataka
The Congress-JD(S) combine should be the obvious choice of the governor to form the government for the following reasons:
- No single party or pre-poll coalition of parties could get majority in the house. Therefore post-poll coalition should be invited to form a government in a fractured verdict. Commonsense should prevail over convention.
2.It is true that congress could not retain power. But, it is equally true that BJP could not get the mandate. The BJP with 104 MLAs cannot get the magic figure of 112 without resorting to Horse-Trading. The governor in the name of convention cannot facilitate subversion of Constitution.
- The Governors appointed during the BJP regime did not follow the principle of inviting single largest party in Goa, Manipur and Meghalaya. These immediate precedents should obviously guide the Karnataka governor.
- The BJP cannot cry foul over inviting post-poll coalition as it was the party's stand in Goa , Manipur and Meghalaya. Eminent lawyer and top BJP leader Arun Jaitley in March 2017 tweeted to this effect.
- Inviting Congress-JD(S) combine cannot be the subversion of people's mandate as this coalition has the support of 116 MLAs and together polled 56.4% votes. On the contrary BJP won 104 seats and polled 36.2% votes.
- It may look politically strange for the leader of 38 MLAs to be the chief minister. But, the choice of leadership wrests with the coalition partners.